is the highest tier of consumer charge cards in the Amex universe (not counting the rare Centurion Card). It carries the highest annual fee but comes with the most travel rewards for Amex members. Despite earning minuscule points on everyday purchases, the Platinum card gets you the highest membership rewards points on flight and hotel bookings.
But this review is not about the Amex universe. It’s a look at whether the Platinum card should be added to the collection of credit cards in your wallet. Let’s take a look.
- Welcome bonus: 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points
- $550 annual fee
- Receive $15 in Uber Cash each month ($20 in December)
- 5x the reward points on flights and hotels
- Up to $200 airline fee credit
- TSA Precheck or Global Entry fee credit
- Complimentary hotel upgrades
From May 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020 you can earn:
- Up to $20 in statement credits each month when you use your American Express Platinum Card to pay for Select U.S. Streaming Subscriptions.
- Up to $20 in statement credits each month when you use your American Express Platinum Card to pay for eligible Wireless Telephone Service charges.